Monday 14 April 2014

Date: Sunday 13th April 2014

First entry of 2014 is also my first trip of the year and the venue for my return is my favorite water Rolfs lake in Oxfordshire

Thanks to Neil Riddy for the invite to today's match

Today fishing was from 11.15am till 4.15pm and typical of me i was late and missed the draw and arrived shortly before the start.

Neil had drawn for me and my home was to be peg 2 at the bottom of the small lake.



Everyone who draws peg 2 fishes long pole down the left towards the corner.
but i'm nothing like others so totally ignored that area.

I set up just 2 rigs to cover 3 lines

Rig 1 was for 6mtrs straight in front into about 41/2 foot of water, line was a little light for me as i used a Winter rig which was .19 Powerline with a 3" guru hook length.

Rig 2 was for both left and right margins and consisted of .22 Powerline and again with a 3" guru hook length.

I was finally ready at about 11.45 and started on the long line and messed about on this line for about half hour with both paste and pellet as hook bait for nothing more than a couple of liners.

So time to hit the MARGINS
First to get my attention was to the left and i proceeded to get constant Roach knocks with the odd proper bite which resulted in 3 or 4 bumped Carp before finally hitting one of the proper bites and first carp was on the board weighing in at 11lb 8oz and my normal first Carp cheer rang out.

For the rest of the match i switched between both left and right margins to end up with 11 carp 10 of which went on the board with the best going 17lb 8oz proper Paste Fish

 10 carp on the board for 129lb made for a happy chappy

22 anglers fished today and i was very pleased to end up 3rd in section and 6th overall on my first outting of the year








  1. Peg 34 Steve Water     268lb 2oz
  2. Peg 16 Russell Hill      246lb 6oz
  3. Peg 24 Pete Archer     217lb 13oz
  4. Chris Lovelock            169lb 10oz
  5. Peg 5 Paul Jay           147lb 15oz
  6. Peg 2 Malc Doyle       138lb 4oz
  7. Peg 4 Neil Riddy         137lb 10oz
  8. Peg 8 Geoff Edwards   129lb 4oz
  9. Peg 9 Steve Wilson     125lb 7oz

John has now got a small Cafe and Tackle / Bait shop on site which is a great addition to the venue










Thanks for reading 

Next trip out is the Rolfs lake Easter 3 day Festival next weekend


No comments:

Post a Comment